You know where you want to go, but the road ahead is shrouded in fog. Setting goals along the way can make the path more visible.
Goals help you lead a balanced life by keeping you focused on what is important to you, your family and your business, says Donald Fletcher, president of May International, a Chicago-based management consulting firm. Goals aid in planning, development and help you improve performance within your business.
Here are some tips Fletcher says may help you identify and set realistic goals for you and your business:
- Make sure your goals reflect your companys values or mission statement.
- Be creative and open your mind to new possibilities and out-of-the-box thinking.
- Make your goals measurable.
- Make your goals attainable and appropriate.
- Prioritize goals as to their importance.
- Be specific and dont generalize.
- Consider relationships and how they will be affected.
- Challenge yourself to achieve your goals. Dont settle for the easy ones.