The Power of Planning

Michael Fetsko, vice president of the Americas regions, Bombardier Transportation, Systems Division

Michael Fetsko, formerly of Bombardier Transportation, currently VP and GM of frieght pneumatics, Wabtec Corp.

Studies have shown that only 3 percent of people around the world write their goals down on paper. However, that 3 percent is more successful than the other 97 percent combined. Think about any winning recipe, whether you’re trying to grow a company to new heights or baking a cake. Without a strategic plan and goals to meet along the way, you’re much less likely to reach them if you don’t write them down and keep track of them. Strategic plans take time, effort, research and people to monitor and drive them forward. You can’t simply devise a plan and then not reference it. You must constantly be checking your progress and making sure you are on track to accomplish what you set out to do. Below is a sampling of what three CEOs previously featured on the cover of Smart Business Pittsburgh had to say about developing strategic plans.

Jack Ouellette, President and CEO, American Textile Co.

“You have to look at where you want to go and what you’re trying to strive for your business to achieve. It comes down to being able to pick and choose where you want to spend your money and where you want to spend your resources and you really have to do your homework to make sure that you’re making the right decisions.”

Michael Fetsko, formerly of Bombardier Transportation. Currently VP and GM of frieght pneumatics at Wabtec Corp.

“Once a strategic plan is in place, it is to your advantage to continue to follow and update that plan. It requires an individual in the company to have responsibility for that plan and have responsibility for making certain that everybody’s working toward it. Finding the time to work on the longer-term strategy takes a lot of discipline.”

Stan Hasselbusch, President and CEO, L.B. Foster Co.

Jack Ouellette, president and CEO, American Textile Co.

“Make sure you have a very strong strategic plan. It’s got to have … your diligence plan, your integration plan and your plan going forward. You need to be able to know what you can do internally from an organic standpoint or what needs to be looked at outside of your current organizational set up.”

Stan Hasselbusch, president and CEO, L.B. Foster Co.