Adam Eger is the founder of Cincinnati Solutions, a full-service interactive firm specializing in SEO, photography and Internet marketing consulting. Eager has extensive experience with Internet marketing and successfully integrating that with traditional advertising, netting solid results. His experience has allowed him to execute cost-effective campaigns to accomplish client-specific businessgoals and sales objectives.
He researches emerging technologies to achieve greater ROI efficiencies and streamline lead generation.
Q. How has SEO evolved since its inception? What are recent growth figures for the industry?
Only five years ago, making any effort when it came to SEO could yield top 10 results. Just adding the keyword to your list andmentioning the phrase a few times on the site achieved an acceptable result. Today, it’s about creating valuable content so that peoplewant to link to or read your site. SEO has slowly evolved into a PR tactic, as well, and I’m not sure many people see the correlation.Google covers 75 percent of all U.S. search engine traffic while Yahoo and MSN carry the bulk of the other 25 percent. The industry isgetting more attention, and more companies are educating themselves on the practice. With the introduction of video and mobilesearch, SEO keeps becoming more important.
Q. What figure can a client expect as a return using SEO?
Anywhere from 1-to-1 to 200 percent. You might have to spend $10 before someone buys a chainsaw and you make $10, but youhave a new customer for life. Or, you may spend $100 and sell $200 chainsaws. SEO is trial and error. The key is to try something,and if it doesn’t work, then change it until you find what words or phrases work best.
Q. What is the typical budget needed for SEO to be effective?
The smallest amount can be effective if properly targeted. But if you sell nationally, you may need $1,000 a day just to keep up withthe search demand, i.e. health care products. It really depends on the company, their goals and the return on the investment they’relooking for. The bottom line is SEO needs to be a factor in your marketing and public relations budget.