When it comes to your employees, recognizing and dealing with their phobias can help from adversely affecting your bottom line. Here's a list of behaviors exhibited by people with a fear of flying. If employees exhibit any of the following traits, there may be an underlying fear that's not being treated.
- Excessive use of alcohol or sedatives prior to or during a flight.
- Desire to drive to a customer when flying makes more sense.
- Change in behavior prior to a flight.
- Communicating via telephone, fax, e-mail, when face-to-face contact is needed.
- Avoidance of scheduling appointments that require flying.
- Hesitation to accept job advancement that requires increased travel or flying.
- "Off-handed" comments related to apprehension or fear of flying.