But what can a manufacturer do to keep employees in the fold once they've signed aboard?
A new study by William M. Mercer Inc. and the Pittsburgh High Technology Council polled manufacturers in the high-tech field about ways they retain quality workers. Here are some of the responses:
- Provide challenging work assignments. Everybody likes a good challenge.
- Offer career-development opportunities. If workers have the chance to grow within your company, they often won't turn their sights elsewhere.
- Demonstrate high-quality supervision and leadership. There are few better ways to motivate workers than leading by example.
- Create a favorable work environment. If employees like where they work, you're halfway home.
- Offer incentives for meeting or exceeding goals. Better the carrot than the stick.