This year's challenge -- with additional categories and more prize money -- is expected to garner even greater interest.
The 2003 competition will award $179,000 in cash prizes, including a $50,000 grand prize, and a host of other business-related awards in eight categories:
* Start-up business plan: Ventures less than two years old.
* Innovation/growth business plan: New product, new distribution method, new or additional markets, change in ownership or change in organizational structure that will result in revenue growth.
* Manufacturing business plan: Company must manufacture, make or produce a product.
* Technology business plan: Technology must be a crucial or integral part of the operation or product.
* Artist business plan: Arts must be a crucial or integral part of the operation or product.
If a plan meets these criteria, it may be entered under one of the following categories:
* 30 & under plan
* Female business plan
* Minority business plan
Letters of intent are due Aug. 5, 2003. The final business plans are due Sept. 2, 2003. Winners will be announced in December 2003. For more information, check the pages of SBN each month or visit http://www.cosechallenge.org/.