Review or develop an HIV/AIDS policy for your business, and be certain it's in compliance with federal, state and local laws.
Your company's HIV/AIDS policy should assure employees of the following:
- Workers with HIV/AIDS will be able to work as long as they are able and do not endanger themselves or the health and safety of co-workers.
- Medical information will be kept confidential.
- Current employees and job applicants will not be tested for HIV.
- AIDS education will be provided to all employees in order to alleviate co-worker concerns. Attendance at AIDS education programs is mandatory.
- Employee benefit plans will cover the needs of workers with AIDS and other catastrophic illnesses. Provisions should include short- and long-term disability, sick leave and leave banks; home health care; hospice care; extended-care facilities; and prescription drug coverage for preventive medications.