The DeIuliis file Featured

7:00pm EDT February 28, 2007

Birthplace: Pittsburgh

Education: Bachelor of science degree, chemical engineering, Penn State University; MBA, Duquesne University; juris doctorate degree, Duquesne University

First Job: Paperboy

Whom do you admire most in business and why?

I’ll suggest a name that goes a little ways back — Alexander Hamilton. I can’t think of a person in the history of the

United States who has a greater legacy or possessed more vision regarding business and the economy.

What’s your favorite business book?

Ayn Rand’s “Atlas Shrugged.” Not a book you will find in the business section of a book store, but nevertheless, a book that will teach you quite a bit about business and leadership.

What is the most important business lesson you’ve learned?

The CEO of a publicly traded corporation directly impacts less than 10 percent of the results. It’s the CEO’s ability to combine the right assets, right people and right processes that will allow those three items to deliver the other 90 percent.

What are the three characteristics most valuable for a CEO to possess?

The willingness not just to say the right things but to follow through with doing those things. The ability to ensure that management and employees are compensated in a way that directly correlates to shareholder value.

The ability to continually communicate with shareholders as to what the company is about, where it is heading, what the value is and what factors will drive the valuation.

How would you describe your leadership style?

Open and direct tone at the top, followed through by actions consistent with the tone.