Think it takes a lot to buy a hockey team? Imagine what it takes to put on a celebrity golf tournament for charity.
Mario Lemieux gets a lot of help in making the Toyota Mario Lemieux Celebrity Tournament a success. Besides the list of notables who participate in the event June 10-13 at The Club at Nevillewood, local businesses line up to lend a hand to fill the myriad needs that event requires.
Obviously the celebrities are the big attraction, and The Club at Nevillewood offers the venue. But there are many other locals who contribute to the success of the event, which raises money for the Mario Lemieux Foundation and, in return, get a fair amount of marketing bang for their buck along the way.
Most of the foundations funds go to cancer research at the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute. Among the vendors contributing this year:
- Duquesne Litho will donate the printing.
- Metropol/Rosebud owner Robin Fernandez will provide space for the auction party and serves on the executive committee.
- Pittsburgh Online hosts the events Web site and is providing e-mail service.
- Lemieuxs personal massage therapist, Tom Plasko, will provide massages for the celebrities during the tournament.
- Guy Volpe of Wholesale Produce is donating fruit.
- Dennis Gilmore of Carpet Sculptures will provide the carpets.
- Bill Sarris, Sarris Candies, is donating chocolate golf balls.
- Jeff Ballilna of Premiere Foliage is providing flowers and plants.
- Ed Wildauer will cater the tent party and sky boxes.
- All Occasions will donate party linens.
Tickets are available at Giant Eagle stores, which are offering a discount to Advantage Card members, or by calling (412) 278-1066.